Welcome to Gelato!
Here you will find a brief overview on how to setup your Gelato account from a billing perspective. We will cover the following aspects:
Should you have any questions during the implementation phase please contact your assigned Implementation Specialist.
Tip: We recommend to have at least one Gelato Finance Admin, who can take care of finance-related aspects of your Gelato account.
One of the first steps to setup your account is to save the billing information that we can use to invoice you for your orders.
Note: It is mandatory to create at least one billing entity, regardless of the payment method you choose for your account.
The maximum number of billing entities is stated in your contract and this limit will be reflected in your account. Should you wish to add more billing entities, please contact your Account Manager.
Tip: We recommend to keep the total number of billing entities at a bare minimum to ensure ease of maintenance and reduced risk of the users selecting the wrong billing entity at check-out.
2. Setting up billing entities
You can setup a new billing entity by clicking on Billing > Billing entities menu on the left after login and selecting the Add new button on the top right corner. Alternatively you can provide us with a list of billing entities you wish to create and we can support you with a bulk upload of those. Please see below for a list of the information required.
Note: Only users with a role that has 'Manage billing entities' permission enabled, can setup new billing entities and edit existing ones.
Tip: We recommend to give 'Manage billing entities' permissions to the account and finance Admins only, in order to prevent other users from inputting incorrect billing information.
3. Important information to include
Regardless of the way you use to create new billing entities, there is important information which is mandatory to ensure that invoices are processes in a timely and smooth manner, reducing your accounting department’s workload. The mandatory information depends on the country for which you wish to have local billing. Currently, Gelato offers billing entities in 50+ countries and in 30+ currencies. Because of limitation by local governance rules, Brazil, India, China, Chile need locally-managed invoicing.
The most important information you will have to provide includes:
- Legal entity: Should include the full and complete legal entity name (e.g. ‘Gelato AS’ instead of just ‘Gelato’)
- VAT number: Should match the country of the legal entity. It is needed in order to provide you with the accurate VAT information in case you have an internal process to follow for managing your tax payments.
- Organisation number: In some countries (e.g. Norway), this is a government registration number required for operation. It may or may not be different than the VAT number. This field is optional.
- Billing address: Should be the mailing address, which may be different from the delivery address. This should be the address that is registered to the legal entity that we are billing.
- Invoice recipient: The contact name should be the person receiving the invoice (e.g. John Smith), preferably not a generic department.
- Invoice recipient email: The contact email should be the main invoice mailbox, preferably not a personal email (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
Note: Billing entities in China and Russia need to be entered in Chinese or Russian. For China, bank information should also be included.
Tip: Should you wish to upload several billing entities at the same time, we can provide you with a template to collect the information needed. Please contact your assigned Implementation Specialist.
4. Cost centers (and project codes)
Cost centers are used to help you allocate costs e.g. to different regions or company departments, using the same billing entity. Project codes are relevant for your company if users have a budget for each project and want to control costs separately. With cost centers and project codes, you can easily identify and assign the invoice payment to the appropriate user group.
Note: You cannot use both cost centers and project codes at the same time. Also you can decide to opt-out of both. Please contact your assigned Implementation Specialist for more information.
5. Invoicing process
Gelato issues invoices on the 5th of each month for all orders placed in the previous month to the billing email saved in the billing address. These can be grouped by billing entity, cost center, or person who placed the order. Note that there is always a 30-day payment period.
Note: The invoices will be sent from the following email address: email@example.com - Please be sure that it is included to the safe sender list.