Gelato offers several type of folded brochures, you can find them in the Products section in your account.
In this article we will focus on the Roll-Folded Brochure:
A roll fold brochure has six panels, some pages (p4 & p5) are bit smaller than the previous panels so that they can fold properly. A sheet is folded inwards from the right and the leftmost panel is folded over the rest of the sections. A roll fold, sometimes also called a barrel fold brochure, is a great design for leading readers through the information in an orderly fashion.
How to create the File
When you start working on a Roll-fold brochure, we recommend using our free Gelato Print Plugin for Adobe as it provides templates for all the formats we support, including roll folded formats.
Option 1 - Using the Plugin
If using the Plugin, here are a few steps to guide you:
- Open the Gelato plugin and select the 6 page Roll-fold template
- The artwork is presented in 6-page formats and include 4mm bleed only on the sides that are not connected together.
- The page order of the file is p5, p6, p1, p2, p3, p4
- Upload the file to Gelato using the Upload function from the plugin.
These steps and setup apply for both vertical and horizontal layouts. Below is a visual guide to help you with this.
Note: Please note that when creating a roll fold in InDesign, the page arrangement might look different (see screenshot below). Please always follow the page order indicated above, i.e. 5, 6, 1 and 2, 3, 4.
Option 2 - Manual creation and pdf export
If you are starting from scratch and not using our plugin, here are a few steps to guide you:
- Create your 6-page workspace with separate pages, adding 4 mm bleed on all sides.
- Page 5 and page 4 should have 97 mm (105mm with bleed)
- After finishing designing, export your pdf file keeping the document bleed (4mm) in the Marks and Bleeds setting.
Important: Please note, that after uploading the file, Gelato will be displaying your file in the following order: p5, p6, p1, p2, p3, p4.
Example of design preview
Please refer to this page for detailed information on our folded products.