Gelato Globe identifies design file as 'Print ready' after it is uploaded to the Library. This is if file is in correct size format and has appropriate number of pages. After uploading, paper type is required to be selected for the file. For any design file to be Print ready in one go, it has to be Preflighted with PDFX4- Gracol2006. After the preflight, a report is generated showing the errors. The “Gelato Standard” PDF export preset can be downloaded and installed in your Adobe tools.
Error: Fonts not embedded. Fonts getting changed or broken / mixed up
Remedy: This error occurs when fonts are not embedded in PDF
- Always have 'Fonts Embedded' option CHECKED ON, while exporting PDF. This option is selected by default in Indesign CC
- Make sure PDF/X-4: 2010 format is selected while exporting PDF from MS office applications
- Always use Gelato Print Preset ‘Gelato Standard 1.4 (PDF/X-4 Coated GRACoL 2006)'
- Keep enable ‘Preflight’ in Indesign
- Check Preflight errors in the same window before exporting PDF
Also this issue occurs when files from MS office are saved to PDF, and PDF/X-4: 2010 format is not selected. Refer here to know more.
Error: Overprint issue
Remedy: If Transparency panel is not used to change transparency of artwork, the fills and strokes in the artwork will appear opaque. This is because the top color knocks out, or cuts out the area underneath. You can prevent knockout by using the Overprint options in the Attributes panel. After you have set your overprint options, you can preview the overprinting effects on‑screen
Steps to resolve this:
- Select one or more paths with the Selection tool or the Direct Selection tool, or select text characters with the Type tool. To overprint the stroke of a path that is pasted inside a frame, you must first select the nested (inner) path using the Direct Selection tool
- Choose Window > Output > Attributes. In the Attributes panel:
- To overprint the fill of selected objects, or to overprint unstroked type, select Overprint Fill
- To overprint the stroke of selected objects, select Overprint Stroke
- To overprint a color applied to the spaces in a dashed, dotted, or patterned line, select Overprint Gap
Error: Problems with glyphs / missing Glyphs
Remedy: Glyphs are graphical representations of characters (letters, digits, and symbols). While displaying font characters, some characters that are completely missing result from an incorrect sub-setting for TrueType fonts, only an empty glyph is displayed.
In the case of Type 1 fonts, however, the system uses .notdef glyph (replacement character) instead. This is often simply a box containing an X
To resolve this:
- Open the design source file
- Find missing glyps / characters using Type > Find Font.. in Indesign
- Replace with character which was used in the layout
- Again create a PDF, using Gelato print presets
Error: Registration color detected
Remedy: This error is encountered when you have used a color of 'Registration' or 'All' within your file
- These colors should never be used unless you are required to provide crop marks (and it is recommended to not include crop marks when uploading files to Gelato Globe). Thus avoid the use of Registration or All colors
- This is a common error when using InDesign and there is an easy way to resolve this issue. Manually identify and change all elements of your original design from Registration or All colors to another color such as Black