For Gelato to offer consistent quality we have identified a group of print machine settings which we are rolling out to all our print partners - we call it the "Gelato standard" On a regular basis, the print houses calibrate their machines with these Gelato settings. Furthermore, for our platform to make the smallest amount of color transformations and secure your file is printed as intended, we require that you follow the below design requirements.
Before deciding a new design, please check the formats we carry.
- Files should be exported as PDF/X-4 CMYK-only, output intent set to GRACoL 2006
- Fonts should be embedded or converted to outlines
- We require a 4 mm bleed area to be provided (8 mm on the binding side for Wire-O bound products)
- Consider a minimum 4 mm safety area for the text and graphics to reduce cutting issues (8 mm on the binding side for Wire-O bound products)
- Do not add crop marks, color bars, etc. our platform takes care of this automatically (will be added with the pdf preset or once you place an order)
- For files with more than 4 pages, please export it as separate pages, not spread
- Images should have a resolution of at least 300 dpi
- Black and Grey tones: we recommend using solid colours (one channel colour, e.g. C0 M0 Y0 K70)
- Rich black: preferred mixture 60 60 60 100 – total 280 (for large elements and texts)
- We recommend to create the files in our Gelato Print plugin for Adobe, which you can download for free here. When using templates in the plugin document size and bleed area in the work space will be set automatically, so you ensure the file is prepared in accordance with our guidelines